One of my all-time favorite stores is Pottery Barn. If I could live inside a PotteryBarn store, I would! For anyone out there who doesn’t already know, Pottery Barn is a retail store that specializes in home decor and home furnishings. According to the organization’s mission statement, the brand was built on the idea that home furnishings should be exceptional in comfort, quality, style and value.
With stores located across the United States and throughout Canada, as well as a website and an active presence on social media, I believe Pottery Barn will rank highly in search results.
Below are ten keywords that I believe are prominent in Pottery Barn’s branding. I conducted a Google Search on each term to see where Pottery Barn ranks according to each, and to discover where the brand could improve their SEO efforts.
1. Home decor: Page 1, Result 6
2. Interior design: Beyond 2o pages
3. Home furnishings: Page 1, Result 5
4. Home entertaining: Beyond 20 pages
5. Table settings: Page 3, Result 3
6. Room ideas: Page 1, Result 10
7. Home accents: Page 1, Result 6
8. Dinnerware: Page 2, Result 8
9. Dream home: Beyond 20 pages
10. Wedding registry: Page 2, Result 2
As you can see, Pottery Barn appears within the top three pages on every keyword I searched except for three.
Next, I conducted a search on Pottery Barn’s website, to see how many times I could find the keywords on the brand’s home page, including in alt tags and html. This is what I discovered:
1. Home decor: Five times, but “home” was mentioned 35 times and “decor” was mentioned 55 times on the home page and tags.
2. Interior design: Five times, but “interior” was mentioned five times and “design” was mentioned 24 times.
3. Home furnishings: Four times, but a form of “furnishings” was mentioned 51 times.
4. Home entertaining: None, but a form of “entertaining” was used 37 times.
5. Table settings: None, but “table” was mentioned 12 times and a form of “setting” was mentioned seven times.
6. Room ideas: Eight times, but “room” was mentioned 51 times on the home page, meta tags and alt tags.
7. Home accents: Three times, but “accents” was mentioned five times.
8. Dinnerware: Six times.
9. Dream home: None, but “dream” was mentioned four times.
10. Wedding registry: None, but “wedding” was mentioned 12 times and “registry” was mentioned 23 times on the home page and tags.
Pottery barn achieves SEO success by including these keywords not just on their home page, but throughout the meta and alt coding. Effectively using SEO helps Pottery Barn stay ahead of their competitors and at the top of the home decor game. It also ensures that when consumers turn to search for their home decor needs, Pottery Barn’s brand will rise to the top.